Here we are at the very last Friday in September! I think I may be revamping my blog and changing up the colors a bit sometime… that is when I have time. I tried something a little different this week with my favorites as well. Believe it or not, finding 5 things you really love each week is really hard. Sometimes I lay awake at night digging deep into my subconscious to try to figure out great products to post. I wish I could go out every week and buy something new to test out, but like every other average person, I have to watch my spending. Besides that I’d take a Pumpkin Latte over a new lipstick any day!
1.) Hikari Lipstick in Cabernet This dark berry lipstick was included in my monthly Ipsy bag. The shade is a tad too dark but, goes well with the darker shades of the fall seasons. I applied the color on before work one morning and it lasted a few hours before fading out. To extend the life of lipstick I recommend getting a nude or similar shade lip pencil to the lipstick you are wear, line, and fill in your lips. This allows the lipstick to bond to your lips more and stay in place. Also, don’t forget to blot! Forgo the expensive liners and go pick up wet n wild, rimmel, or any other cheap drugstore brand. Here is a photo of me from this morning with the lipstick on:
2.) Chinese Laundry Boots Yes, I finally decided on a pair! These came in the mail yesterday and I was so excited to wear them to work today. Unfortunately, the wacky Pennsylvania weather put a kibosh on that when the temperatures were supposed to go up into the 80’s today. I tried them on last night though with my black leggings and they are exactly what I was looking for. Eventually, I’ll be purchasing a different style as DSW conveniently sent me a coupon along with my order.
3.) Modcloth’s I love your dress in Olive I now own all three colors of this style dress. This olive one in particular is another great staple for a fall wardrobe. Once the cooler temperatures hit I plan to pair it with a black cardigan, black leggings, and boots. As I already said before, the fabric is very comfortable and flattering.
4.) OPI Lost on Lombard Nail Polish This was a suggested purchase by the Husband. Although judging from the bottle I thought I had several similar colors, I was pleasantly surprised when I applied it. The shade is basically a muted burgundy and very classy. If you are looking for a darker burgundy, but want to avoid using a blood red color, this is perfect.
1. OPI Nail Polish in Lucky Lucky Lavender In my opinion, this color looks more like a darker pink rather then lavender. When I picked it up I thought it looked like a bubble gum pink. After applying a few coats it is a shade or two darker then bubble gum pink. With my favorite combination of Gelous Nail Gel Base Coat and Seche Vite Top Coat, I was able to keep this polish on for almost an entire week!
2. Alba Botanica Even Advanced Deep Sea Facial Mask I randomly picked this up at Target a few weeks ago on a quest to try inexpensive face masks. This one in particular is supposed to aid in evening out skin-tones. The texture is thick and creamy, but just a small amount goes a long way. I put a thing layer on around my face and waited until it dried (about 10 minutes) to wash off. Immediately, I felt a tingly sensation on my skin once it was applied. Since it is not a typical face cleanser, I used a warm wash cloth to wipe it off my face. It left my skin feeling clean and very soft. After a few uses I have not had a problem yet with break outs from using this product. This product is $6 at Target and definitely worth trying.
3. Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder After running out of this powder that I’ve been lucky enough to use one jar in the course of 5 years, I was so hesitant to buy it because of it’s $34 price tag. It worked wonderfully, but I still wanted to try to find something a bit cheaper. I purchased Elf’s High Def. Powder for $6 at Target. The results weren’t very favorable as I felt like I was applying talcum powder to my face. Rather then setting in, this stuff just laid on my skin and made my face appear white. I didn’t use anymore then I did with the MUFE powder. So, I just bit the bullet and picked up MUFE HD powder. Again, this is a case of “you get what you pay for.” On the Elf site their powder gets great reviews but, it just didn’t work well with my skin.
4. Stories Seldom Fold Boot from Modcloth Although I do not own a pair of these fold over boots, I LOVE the look of them. Modcloth has several different styles and different colors but, they do not carry something similar in black. With fall steadily approaching I need to start searching for a reasonably priced boot.
5. Things I’ve Learned from Dying The topic of this book is rather somber and although I am not finished with it yet, I can easily tell that it will be one of those books that will stay with me forever. This book is non-fiction and written by David Dow, a Texas state defense attorney. In this particular book, he is defending an inmate who is on death row. His goal is to keep this man alive. Dow incorporates this case along with his father in law who is dying of cancer and his dog who eventually also passes. As the title suggests, this book is about the journey that Dow takes through the deaths of those around him. Originally, I was not sure if I wanted to read this book because it sounded so heart wrenching. So far, the book has included some sullen moments but Dow’s writing is rather witty, which keeps the readers emotions at an even key. As I delve further into the book I am sure it will pull on my heart strings a bit more. The reality of it is dying is a natural part of life. Books like this teach us how appreciative we should be for our own lives and the lives of others we care about. What you have today may be gone tomorrow.